Search This Blog

Monday, February 13, 2012

Alekhya - Flying High

Parents need not despair if their child is doing badly in Maths or Chemistry. There is life beyond these subjects and many have made careers by learning dance and music. Some of them have become greats like Ustad Amjad Ali Khan, Shobha Naidu or the recent Indian Idol winner Sreeram. One who recently did Andhra Pradesh proud was Alekhya Punjla, Head of Dance Department, Telugu University, Hyderabad, whose name figures in the Sangeet Natak Akademi awards announced recently.

Apart from teaching seniors at the University, dynamic dancer Alekhya teaches 40 students twice a week at her studio and also choreographs productions around social and women’s issues. Recipient of the Outstanding Person award in Dance from the Rotary Club of Hyderabad and the Pratibha Rajeev Puruskar from the Government of Andhra Pradesh, Alekhya has higher dreams and advises the young children to pursue any art form as that would help de-stress the overburdened children. The Career Guide spoke to Kuchipudi and Bharatnatyam dancer to know more about her. Following are the excerpts:

Q. Congratulations Ma’am on the recent honour. How do you feel after winning the award?

A. Great! I was thrilled when I heard about the news. Initially I did not believe it as I had not received the confirmation from the Sangeet Natak Akademi, but my friends said that I should not have any fear as there has been an official announcement and it was all over the papers, media and internet. I believe that things happen when they have to happen as everything is destined and timed by God.

Q. You teach dance in the University, don’t you feel that dance and music must be taught in schools too?
A. Yes. The subject must be taught in schools as it will help students expand their horizon. Today, the students are stressed out. Many students can be seen carrying heavy bags to schools. Even the parents are interested that their child should become an engineer or a doctor. In the city, for many students, the day begins with going to an institute for IIT foundation, then school and later tuitions. The child has no time to play or pursue any other activity. He is just glued to the books or watches TV making him lethargic and unhealthy. Some parents give their children mobile phones and other applications and you can find them glued to it and unwilling to explore other activities. 

Q. What do you think, one should do?
A. The government must look into it and ensure that schools start dance and music classes. This will help the students to relax and get back to their studies with a new vigour. It will also help in nurturing talent at the right time. It is like the Chinese training the young gymnasts to garner medals at the Olympics. Moreover soft skills help the young to be sensitive to issues and our culture has lot to offer.

Q. The CBSE syllabus allows students to pursue art, dance and music as subjects of study?
A. I have no idea. I must check it out. If they are doing it then it is good and the same must be done in Andhra Pradesh too. All of us need not be doctors or engineers, there are many other professions too that one can opt for. Moreover if we go on producing so many professionals are there enough jobs for them. Just like there is job quota for sportspersons, there should be something for those pursuing art forms. 

Q. What is your view on the guru-shishya parampara?
A. I value the guru-shishya parampara. Only some interested parents bring in their children as they have interest in the art form and want their children to learn it. It is the parent’s desire/dream being seen in the children. Sometimes parents also give in to the child’s interest, which is very rare. We must adopt the policies of some foreign countries, where the young are trained in groups to promote and retain their cultural identity. In our country, it is an individual’s effort.

Q. Doesn’t the Ministry of Culture help?
A. They offer scholarships to people showing brilliance, but the question is how many can avail of it. The government must think of other ways to nurture our talent and retain the culture.

Q. How did you take to dance?
A. While studying at the Montessori school, I would run to the music class whenever I heard the beat of the drums. Just opposite was the dance class and I would get drawn to it. My first guru was Dayal Sharanji and I learnt Odissi and Kathak from him. I also learnt folk dances, but was always enchanted with Bharatnatyam and Kuchipudi dance forms. Bharatnatyam and Kuchipudi, I learnt from Guru Uma Rama Rao. I remember as a kid performing folk dances at the Rosary Convent and other places wherever cultural activities were held. They would come and request my mother to send me.

Q. Please tell us about your journey of dance?
A. I performed my Arangetram when I was in Class X on May 13th, 1977, and since then I haven’t looked back. It was then that I had made up my mind to pursue dance as a profession. In my Graduation, I studied Arts with Literature, psychology and philosophy and then later pursued B.A. in Bharatnatyam after Osmania University introduced the course. Then later, I studied M.A. with Archaeology, History and culture. Much later, I pursued Ph.D with special reference to Kshetrayya Padams based on the poetry of a 16th century poet. All my life, I have pursued my studies keeping dance in mind.

Q. Your advice to youngsters?
A. They must pursue some art form, need not be dance, as it will help them to be sensitive to their surroundings and would also act as a stress buster.

No comments:

Post a Comment